March 27, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians of Catholic Academy and Parish School Students,
We have just completed another week during an unimaginable situation that is affecting everyone. For each of us, we have been faced with many changes and challenges. During these difficult times, we need to ensure that we all remain safe and healthy. Our continued prayers are needed for the health and safety of everyone.
We appreciate you as partners in Catholic education, as we work together to maintain meaningful, faith-filled learning for our children during this crisis. The teachers, principals and school staff have responded in the most admirable and commendable ways, to continue the education our students deserve. Their efforts to provide ongoing distance and digital learning is incredible and the support of you, our families, is greatly appreciated.
The following is an update addressing recent questions and concerns. Many things are still uncertain. We will continue to communicate as frequently as possible throughout this crisis as the situation changes.
1) Attendance Expectations and Classwork
• Teachers are taking daily attendance.
• All assignments provided to the students by the teachers need to be completed in a timely fashion.
• Parents are asked to ensure that their child(ren’s) work is completed and submitted, according to the policies and procedures outlined by the administration of the Catholic Academy and Parish School.
• All assignments and assessments will continue to be graded. Additional information regarding 3rd trimester and final report card grading will be provided shortly.
2) Holy Week and Easter Break will be maintained as a break week for the children and teachers.
• Classes will not take place on April 9, 2020 (Holy Thursday), April 10, 2020 (Good Friday), and the week of Monday April 13 through Friday April 17th. No formal instruction or classes will take place during this time. Resources for parent and family-led activities will continue to be provided, to support you and your children through the blog page: https://news.catholicschoolsbq.org/category/parent-resources/
• Our teachers have embraced this challenge of shifting to distance learning and have worked around the clock to migrate their lessons to these new forms of delivery, to maintain meaningful instruction and connection with their students.
• Teachers and staff will do their best to reply to emails as quickly as possible. While we know you may need to send a message in the late evening or overnight hours, please expect a reply within 24 hours. Our teachers are working an increased amount of time to create online lesson plans and will make every effort to reply in a timely fashion.
3) Internet usage by children
• In this time where everyone is online more than usual, we need to increase our monitoring of our children’s online behavior, to protect them and ensure they understand safe and appropriate online behavior. Information from the Office of Safe Environment, and a copy of the Diocesan Acceptable Use policy can be found here Parent Resources.
4) PDHP and Counseling Services
• Even though the offices of the Program for the Development of Human Potential (PDHP) are closed, ongoing support is available for prevention and crisis resources. You may call 718-550-0025 for support. (Please use 911 for critical and life-threatening health and safety emergencies). Support and connection is also available through the PDHP Facebook account.
May God continue to watch over each of you, your children and family!
Thomas Chadzutko, Ed.D.
Superintendent~Catholic School Support Services